Previously "Diary of a Birding Medic"

Previously "Rugby Birder"

Friday, 19 May 2017

Diving Gannets below Bempton Cliffs



What a fantastic morning with blue skies, sunshine and a flat calm sea so, what could be better than a "diving gannets" photographic boat trip below Bempton Cliffs?  Now, I am not good on the sea and my memories still travel back to my mid teenage years when I embarked on a fishing trip from Great Yarmouth and spent the whole time "chumming" the fish with my vomit! The last thing I wanted was a repeat performance, so it was with some nervousness that I booked my place with Steve Race, Yorkshire Coast Nature - LINK. I need not have worried and we had a perfect trip! The movement of the boat took some getting used to, as did my canon 100-400 zoom lens which had not been out for well over 12months. I did my best taking over 800 images, but with blurred and missed shots I ended up with a workable 130images! My reactions have slowed tremendously but I did manage some fantastic images of sea water splashes minus the Gannets!

"One flew over the Gannet Colony!"


Gulls and Gannets with the fantastic Bempton Cliffs backdrop!



Diving Gannets - well my best effort! I'm not very fast on the trigger!







Heads up!



Gannets being Gannets!















Competition! Gannet and juv Great Black Backed Gull






No comments: