Previously "Diary of a Birding Medic"

Previously "Rugby Birder"

Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Out of the Fog - Seeswood Pool, Nuneaton.


My day of work was cancelled (patient transfer from Sidmouth to the Midlands), so I put away my mankini, bucket & spade and dreams of ice cream on the beach, and headed over to Seeswood Pool to (hopefully) touch base with the pair of Garganey. Leaving Rugby in bright sunshine, I entered the M6, only to be delayed due to a three lane car park! Additionally, the bright morning was turning into FOG which became thicker the closer I got to Nuneaton! Arriving at the pool, visibility was crap and the opposite bank could not be seen. Not to be put off, I walked the muddy bank path, not really knowing where the Garganey would be (or even if they would still be there). Standing on a fishermans platform, I cursed the visibility doing its best to ruin my day! Slowly, the fog began to lessen and having my 500mm, I felt obliged to use it, and the subjects mattered not, hence -

Lesser Black Backed Gull



Coot



The fog continued to lift and eventually I could see the far bank! Was that blue sky? Yes and sunshine eventually whipped the arse off the fog! Scanning, I eventually located the Garganey pair, close in the reeds of the opposite bank.


Not exactly the best views, but good enough for me! The efforts of a Coot to show them off his patch, forced the Garganey out of the reeds, allowing me some potential, but they remained distant and a strain for my 500mm with 1.4! I put out a message to RBA advising that the Garganey were still present. Imagine my thoughts when I see a further message this afternoon stating "showing well"! C'est la vie!

Garganey












No comments: