Previously "Diary of a Birding Medic"

Previously "Rugby Birder"

Monday, 12 July 2010

Draycote Water (the gloom returns!)

Due to working additional shifts, I have not been out birding for over two weeks and desperately needed to get out into the fresh air. Choosing Draycote Water as my destination I arrived at 0800 at the same time as the light rain increased. Determined (or stupid), I plugged on around the perimeter, hoping that something special might appear - I must say now that it did not!

At least five Common Sandpipers were mobile around the banks with two Little Egrets being equally mobile, eventually favouring Biggen Bay. A single Yellow Legged Gull took up post on a bouy just outside Toft Shallows with a Grey Wagtail in Toft Shallows. A juvenile Little Ringed Plover showed well off Draycote Bank near the Inlet, while three juvenile Chavs sent up everything in Rainbow Corner while they posed for photos on the bank.

A full list of sightings at the end of post.


Great Crested Grebe Family

Rook

Black Headed Gull & Common Sandpiper

Common Sandpiper

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

Pied Wagtail

? Chiffchaff

? Chiffchaff

(More Images on my website - see link opposite)


Todays Sightings (0800 - 1215):

Wren; Wood Pigeon; Carrion Crow; Rook; Blackbird; Dunnock; Blue Tit; House Martin; Swift; Great Crested Grebe; Mallard; Cormorant; Tufted Duck; Whitethroat; Coot; Black Headed Gull; Pied Wagtail; Little Egret; Chiffchaff; Mute Swan; Magpie; Robin; Common Sandpiper; LBB Gull; Moorhen; Yellow Legged Gull; Green Woodpecker; Long Tailed Tit; Great Tit; Willow Warbler; Jackdaw; Chaffinch; Lapwing; Greenfinch; Song Thrush; Blackcap; Goldfinch; Coal Tit; Grey Wagtail; Little Ringed Plover; Yellowhammer; Skylark; Pheasant; Swallow; Sand Martin.

8 comments:

Belper Birder said...

Hi Kevin, hope you are well. Some good shots as ever although I'm not sure the labelled Grey Wagtail is correct (-:

Kevin Groocock said...

Cheers, Dave - a "senior" moment! Now corrected.

Max Silverman said...

Have not been to Draycote for ages.Some nice shots there Kevin so I must make the effort and go there sometime.

Kevin Groocock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

it was great meeting you today i will use my raincoat next time i walk round draycote water. You have inspired me to really take up photography from jamie brookes.

Kevin Groocock said...

Hi Jamie, nice to meet you too. Glad I was of some use! Good luck with your photography and let me know how you get on. If I can help, you only have to ask.

Anonymous said...

kevin its jamie. Let me know when your out bird watching again in the midlands. i would like to come along i will take some pic'.s with my camera, my email is jamiebrookes@hotmail.com

Kevin Groocock said...

Jamie, e-mail sent.