Previously "Diary of a Birding Medic"

Previously "Rugby Birder"

Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Coombe Abbey

The sun was shining this morning so I decided to visit the bird hide at Coombe Abbey and continue my battle getting to grips with my 30D settings. I did not do very well (again). I had not visited Coombe for over six months and arriving in the car park, I soon noted the increase in parking fees, now standing at £3.20. Walking to the hide, I realised that the sun would be shining directly at the hide, resulting in most shots being over exposed and when the sun eventually hid behind the building clouds, I was having to increase the ISO. The bird table has gone with seed and suet now being placed in and on the trees and fallen branches making images a little more natural. I had the luxury of the hide to myself. The brightness and glare made the waterfowl difficult to observe.

To end my morning, I walked around the back route to the old toilet area and around the ponds in the hope of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Imagine my dismay, when nearly home, a text message from RBA informs me that a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker had been seen in this area at 1030.

I am not sure what happened, but when I got home and downloaded my images onto the computer, I had lost some. Missing were those of Dunnock, Blackbird and Coal Tit to name a few. Ahhh well - who said photography was easy???



Black Headed Gulls


Nuthatch


Blue Tit


Chaffinch


Bank Vole


Great Tit


Marsh Tit


Marsh Tit


Marsh Tit


Nuthatch

(More boring images on my website - see link opposite)


Today's Sightings:

Gt Cr Grebe; Dabchick; Cormorant; Grey Heron; Mute Swan; Canada Goose; Grey Lag Goose; Wigeon; Mallard; Gadwall; Teal; Pochard; Tufted Duck; Kestrel; Buzzard; Pheasant; Water Rail (Heard); Coot; Moorhen; BH Gull; Stock Dove; Wood Pigeon; Kingfisher; Green Woodpecker; Gt Sp Woodpecker; Grey Wagtail; Dunnock; Wren; Robin; Blackbird; Redwing; Fieldfare; Mistle Thrush; Cettis Warbler; Blackcap (f); LT Tit; Marsh Tit / Willow Tit; Coal Tit; Blue Tit; Great Tit; Treecreeper; Nuthatch; Starling; Jay; Magpie; Jackdaw; Rook; Carrion Crow; Chaffinch; Siskin; Bullfinch; Lesser Redpoll; Minke Whale.





2 comments:

midlands birder said...

marsh tit,by lack of pale wing bar,small chin patch and glossy black cap
dont know about the mammel
MB

Kevin Groocock said...

Cheers, MB. I thought Marsh Tit but I still can't get them right! I posted a pic of the mammal on Bird Forum and the replies indicate Bank Vole.